Sunday, July 4, 2010

Brought to You Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue

"Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith. It is my second favorite patriotic song of all time. My favorite patriotic song of all time is about September 11th: "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" by Alan Jackson, and that always makes me cry. "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" makes me proud to be an American.
"You'll be sorry you messed with the US of A
Cos we'll put a boot in your ass
It's the American way
And Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist
And the eagle will fly
And it's gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell
And you'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you courtesy of the red, white, and blue"

I will be the first to admit that America still has a lot of issues to work out, especially now, but I think everyone, at least for today, should stop complaining and think about how great America really is. Now, I hold no grudges against England. In fact, I love England. I love British accents and I love my British friends. But even my British friends have to admit their people weren't exactly kind to my people (for lack of better phrasing, because my family didn't come over from Ireland until early 1900's). Taxation without representation and all that stuff. American people, you know what I'm talking about. And America truly is a great nation. We have so many freedoms that many other countries don't have. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion (for now. I swear, if that bill gets past to make prayer in public places illegal, I'll put up such a fuss. More on that another day), freedom of health, (mostly) equal oppurtunity employment... Heck, if I was in one of many other countries, I wouldn't be allowed to go to school.

Everybody's always complaining about America's problems. What people need to get is that we're not a utopia. We're not going to be perfect, and we are going to have problems. Name one nation that doesn't have its flaws, and I'll take this back. As for now, calm down, people.

Another thing that bugs me is that everybody's always so quick to blame the president. Not everything that happens is solely the president's fault. I'm not a huge Obama supporter. While I am very, very excited that we have a black president and therefore another block by racism has been destroyed, I have this sneaking suspicion that the only reason many people voted for him was because he was black. The other guy, can't remember his name for the life of me, was more experienced. If he and Obama had switched VPs, I would've been totally behind him. Wolfkiller Palin was a horrible pick, in my opinion, especially against Delaware's own Joe Biden. I've met his son, by the way. He visited my school once and I gave him directions to the bathroom. Anyways, even with all that said, it still bugs the crud out of me when people blame everything on the president. Hello?! There are other branches of government! Reminds me of "Maybe It's Maybeline" by Relient K. That song's all about how we're so quick to blame others, and one of the lines is "America's gone down the drain/President's at fault again."

I usually have definite, set in stone plans for today. Last year, we went to UD for fireworks. The year before that, I spent the evening with Sierra at her family cookout. This year? Well, I know my stepdad's going to be gone most of the day at some golf tournament. I don't know when he'll be back. Moxi may or may not be coming over before the fireworks, and then she may or may not be spending the night. I don't know what's for dinner. I just don't know, and I don't like it.

Signing off
~LeeLee~

No comments:

Post a Comment